Monday, December 15, 2008

Topic Proposal

Felix Penzarella
Proff K.
12/05/08
Visual Literacy
Project Proposal: Comparative Gender Reversal
For my Visual Literacy final project I propose a photographic project. The topic of this short photo essay would be “Gender Reversal”. By this I do not intend to embrace the borderline cliché idea of “guy dressed up as a girl” (or vise versa). Instead, the goal of this project is less physical and more situational.
I will attempt to shoot pictures of things that are stereotypically gender bias (or have been in the past), and turn them around. I feel that this is a more realistic interpretation, representation, and depiction of the various pressures that surround modern day gender identity.
What does it mean to be “male”, or “female”. Are there specific acts that boys and girls need to perform to be considered their gender? Obviously on a physical level no, however, on a deeper more psychological level? Possibly.
Some shots that I have already begun to construct and consider are as follows:
1. A man shaving his legs, something that is generally performed by girls and in modern society considered relatively feminine.
2. A woman opening a door for a man.
3. A woman Shaving
4. A man putting on makeup
5. A woman helping a man into his seat.
6. A woman paying for both movie tickets.
7. A group of men seemingly going to the bathroom together.
8. A man crying as he watches a movie.
Though I feel that shots of this nature would be very successful, I also believe that there is a level to this project, which would add even more dimension to the final set.
While displaying simply gender reversals would work as a set I believe that I could achieve a more striking final set if I show both sides of the pressures set in place by our society.
By this I mean I will attempt to show one single portrait shot displaying the subject in their most raw uninfluenced form. Then I will show the subject performing a role which is generally associated with the opposite gender. And finally I will show a picture in which that person is performing an act, which typically belongs to their sex. The order of these shots is not set in stone in my mind and is still subject to change.
All the shots will be set up (unless the opportunity presents itself in which I can shoot a none posed picture) the project will total between 6-8 very strong B&W pictures, as well as color images (possibly black and white for one sex and color of the other?) and they will be displayed in a linear slideshow format on the projector (as to achieve the best presentation to the class as far as lighting, color, and contrast goes). Also a slideshow ensures that the pictures will be viewed in the order they are meant to be seen.
Over all I really look forward to starting this piece. I think it will be strong and I hope to take some shots from the shoots and keep them as part as my portfolio.
Thanks professor and I hope to hear back from you regarding this!

No comments: