Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Response to Video Scavenger Hunt.

For this critique I chose Elizabeth Lajoie, Amanda Moore, and Matt Mariacher’s film. I really enjoyed the temp as well as some of the more thought out shots. Specifically the long shot and the cut ins, as well as the two shot. There was a good amount of humor, which made the film more fun to watch, and although there was not music the audio was not disruptive.
Regarding places to improve I would have liked to see a consistency in the quality of the shots, also a more defined central theme. I understand now that it is wet and dry, however, watching the movie I did not realize this. Also some elements of composition may be improved. For example in the two shot I would have liked to have seen her feet instead of cutting her off at the knees.
Regarding my own film, I thought it was a fun exercise that is useful in developing a visually literate eye. I did all of the work behind the camera as in filming and composing shots. However, Laura regardless of having no prior visual art experienced gave valuable insight when she deemed it necessary. Laura also did almost all of the organizing of equipment (renting the camera and getting tapes).
We both shared in the editing process. Though I did most of the technical cutting and mixing, Laura helped organize the shot lists and order. She also helped decide the duration of several shots throughout the film.
We shot the entire film without a tripod (due to a mix up at the cage) and although it was noticeable at the end during the zoom, it was not a major hindrance in the filming process. In hindsight it would have been more interesting to pick an object that is simply more interesting than a bottle of OJ. However, the simplicity of the object makes the film relatively fun to watch. Also, I wish that I shortened the clips displaying the name of the shots between clips.
The showing of my work did not bother me at all. I have taken part in countless artistic critiques in the past, which varied greatly in intensity and “harshness”. I am proud of my work (if I wasn’t I would not have made it) and greatly enjoy sharing it with people.
I thought this exercise was very useful as a sort of stretch to help me get back into film making after a summer and several semesters off. Also iMovie has been completely revamped and this served as a useful tool in acquainting myself with this newer version.

No comments: